top of page

D-day and the Dutch 322 squadron at Hartford Bridge

Noot: Scroll naar beneden voor Nederlandse text

A couple of months before D-day the newly trained Dutch 322 fighter squadron moved to Hartford Bridge south of London. Having spent nearly a year practicing all manner of skills with their Spitfires in the north of England, they were finally considered ready for real action. Full of anticipation they set up their tents on one of the largest bases in England which was designed with three all-weather runways. Their task was to patrol the English south coast to keep nosy German reconnaissance aircraft at bay.

322 aircrew with Spitfire XIV at Hartford Bridge in April 1944

1. Aircrew 322 squadron with Spitfire XIV at Hartford Bridge in April 1944

What's really going on?

For a long time the Germans had carefully witnessed preparations for the allied invasion on the British mainland. Some of these preparations were designed to fool the enemy that an invasion was imminent in the area of Calais. The squadrons at Hartford Bridge played an important role in, what was called, Operation Starkey. The Dutch unit was now tasked with preventing the enemy from detecting what was really going on. With their fast and high-altitude Supermarine Spitfire XIV’s they would have to make sure the 'Krauts' would not spot the invasion fleet gathering in the south of England.

A mission similar to the Dutch was assigned to 264 squadron, another Hartford Bridge based fighter squadron. However, 264 performed their duties at night time, flying four cannon-armed Mosquitos equipped with radar. The two squadrons shared a remote corner in the south-west of the base, which was by this time bursting at the seams. Unfortunately, much to the frustration of the Dutch, the enemy didn’t show up during daylight above the southern coast whereas their neighbours from 264 had more success at night. Sadly, the Dutch even lost one of their crew during a patrol above the Isle of Wight. So far, the triumphs they had been working for so hard failed to happen.

322 Flight Commander Kees van Eendenburg instructing Prince Bernhard and his fluffy companion Martin

Royal visits

To boost their morale, Dutch Prince Bernhard who had played an important role in setting up 322 squadron, paid frequent visits. Although an accomplished pilot, the prince of German descent was understandably banned from action but the squadron did let him borrow one of their new Spits for a twenty minutes test flight when he dropped by.

2. Flight Commander Kees van Eendenburg instructing Prince Bernhard and his fluffy companion Martin

Ramping up

Meanwhile, D-day fever increased as the activities on the airfield became more and more frenetic. Bomber squadrons were constantly taking off to pound the French transport network but also secret missions were carried out from Hartford Bridge to France. Special Signal Flights with radio operators on board delivered and acquired intelligence to and from the French resistance by dropping special radio sets above occupied territory. The aircraft fleet on the base was swelling and the bomb supply was ramped up. Even chemical bombs were stored, only to be used in case the Germans used theirs.

A store of aviation fuel at Hartford Bridge

3. A store of aviation fuel at Hartford Bridge

Yet nobody knew exactly when It was going to happen. June came and the fighter squadrons continued their frustratingly fruitless patrols above the south coast but the bomber squadrons were now surprisingly quiet being held in reserve. On the fifth of June all crews were suddenly ordered to paint black and white stripes on the fuselages and wings of their aircraft to distinguish themselves from the enemy in the heat of the moment. Air gunner Les Walker of 88 squadron describes “Everyone was getting in each other’s way as there were armourers bombing up aircraft while others fitted our smoke canisters. Fitters were checking over and running up engines and minor airframe problems were being attended to....personnel all over the place, often very keyed-up, all a scene of frantic preparation and movement on the field.”

Hastily applied invasion markings on a Boston bomber aircraft of 88 squadron at Hartford Bridge

4. Hastily applied invasion markings on a Boston bomber aircraft of 88 squadron at Hartford Bridge

Late in the afternoon the three thousand crew of Hartford Bridge were called together by their group captain.

"Gentlemen from this moment Hartford Bridge is on standby. You are confined to quarters."

5. Commander-in-chief Coningham addresses air and ground crews at Hartford Bridge

Commander-in-chief Coningham addressing the air and ground crews at Hartford Bridge on the evening before D-day

The base was from then cut off from the outside world, the bars were closed at 6 pm and everybody was ordered to have an early night. But still no official mention of an impending invasion. Then at 1 o’clock in the morning, the bomber squadrons were first to be woken up. One hour later they were briefed that ‘today is D-day’. Their mission was to lay a smoke screen between coastal gun batteries near Le Havre and the landing-craft at sea. Other squadrons were briefed a few hours later.

Final D-day briefing of Boston bomber crews at Hartford Bridge

6. Final briefing of Boston bomber crews at Hartford Bridge

The Dutch 322 was at readiness at 4.30 am looking forward to contribute to the big event. Unfortunately, they had to hang around till mid afternoon before they were called upon for several patrols above the Isle of Wight. It was only a small contribution but at least they didn’t lose any of their crew unlike so many people who lost their lives in this invasion which was the turning point in the second world war.

With the success of D-day the main mission of 322 in Hartford Bridge had come to an end. Shortly after, they moved to West Malling to begin their next task of intercepting the German, pilotless V-1 flying bombs, also known as doodlebugs. The Dutch squadron would now finally see her days of glory and prove its worth.


D-day en het Nederlandse 322 squadron op Hartford Bridge

Een paar maanden voor D-day verhuisde het Nederlandse 322 squadron naar Hartford Bridge ten zuiden van Londen. Nadat ze bijna een jaar met hun Spifires hadden geoefend in het noorden van Engeland waren ze eindelijk gereed bevonden voor deelname aan de strijd. Vol verwachting sloegen ze hun tenten op één van de grootste militaire vliegvelden in Engeland op. 322 had als taak om de Engelse zuidkust te patrouilleren om zodoende nieuwsgierige Duitse verkenningsvliegtuigen op een afstand te houden.

Wat is er echt aan de hand?

Lange tijd hadden de Duitsers nauwlettend de voorbereidingen voor de invasie op het Engelse vasteland gade geslagen. Een aantal van deze voorbereidingen, onder de naam Operation Starkey, waren bedoeld om de Duitsers om de tuin te leiden wat betreft het beoogde invasiegebied door middel van schijnbewegingen. Ondertussen kwam de echte invasievloot bijeen in het zuiden van Engeland en de Nederlandse eenheid had nu de taak om met hun snelle en hoogvliegende Supermarine XIV Spitfires deze bewegingen aan het zicht van de Duitse vijand te onttrekken.

Een zelfde missie had het 264 squadron, dat dezelfde afgelegen zuid-west hoek van het inmiddels overvolle veld deelde met 322. Met hun van radar voorziene Mosquito’s opereerde deze eenheid ‘s nachts en met meer succes. Tot grote frustratie van de Nederlanders liet de vijand zich overdag niet zien boven de zuidkust. De Nederlanders verloren zelfs een vlieger tijdens deze patrouilles. Vooralsnog bleven de triomfen, waar ze zo hard voor gewerkt hadden, uit.

Koninklijk bezoek

Om het 322 squadron moreel te ondersteunen kwam prins Bernhard geregeld langs. De prins, die een belangrijke rol had gespeeld in het opzetten van het squadron, mocht zelf natuurlijk niet deelnemen aan de strijd maar de vliegers leenden hem wel af en toe één van hun Spits uit voor een testrondje boven het gebied.


Ondertussen nam de ‘D-day koorts’ op het veld toe naarmate de activiteiten steeds hectischer werden. Bom-squadrons stegen continu op om het Franse transportnetwerk plat te leggen maar ook werden er vanaf Hartford Bridge geheime missies richting Frankrijk verricht. Vluchten met radio-operateurs aan boord (Special Signal Flights) leverden en verzamelden inlichtingen aan en van het Franse verzet door middel van het ‘droppen’ van speciale radiotoestellen. De luchtmachtvloot op de basis zwol alsmaar aan en de aanlevering van bommen werd flink opgeschroefd. Zelfs chemische bommen werden opgeslagen voor het geval de Duitsers hun eigen chemisch arsenaal zouden inzetten.

Maar niemand wist wanneer Het precies zou gebeuren. De maand juni brak aan en de gevechtssquadrons gingen door met hun frustrerende patrouilles boven de zuidkust maar de bomeenheden waren opeens verrassend rustig omdat ze reserve werden gehouden. Op vijf juni kregen alle manschappen plotseling de opdracht om zwart-witte banen op de romp en vleugels van hun geallieerde toestellen te schilderen om zichzelf zodoende in het heetst van de strijd te onderscheiden van de vijand. Laat in de middag werden de drieduizend manschappen van Hartford Bridge bijeen geroepen door hun groepscommandant.

“Mannen vanaf dit moment staat Hartford Bridge paraat. U heeft nu huisarrest”.

Vanaf nu was de basis afgesloten van de buitenwereld, de bars gingen om zes uur dicht en iedereen kreeg de opdracht vroeg te gaan slapen. Maar nog steeds was de invasie niet officiëel aangekondigd. Een uur na middernacht was het zover. Allereerst werden de bomsquadrons wakker gemaakt met het officiële bericht dat het ‘vandaag D-day was’. Hun missie was het verspreiden van een rookgordijn tussen de kust bij Le Havre en de landingsvaartuigen op zee. De andere squadrons werden een paar uur later geïnstrueerd.

Het Nederlandse 322 stond om 4.30 uur paraat, popelend om bij te dragen aan de grote gebeurtenis. Helaas moesten ze tot halverwege de middag rond blijven hangen voordat er een beroep op hen werd gedaan om te patrouilleren boven het eiland Wight. Het was een kleine bijdrage maar ze hadden tenminste niemand van hun bemanning verloren zoals velen wel het leven lieten bij deze invasie die het keerpunt in de tweede wereldoorlog betekende.

Met het succes van D-day kwam er een eind aan de missie van 322 in Hartford Bridge. Korte tijd later vertrok het squadron naar West Malling om te beginnen aan een nieuwe taak: het onderscheppen van de Duitse onbemande vliegende V-1 bommen. In deze volgende periode zou het Nederlandse 322 squadron eindelijk haar waarde kunnen bewijzen.



Blackbushe, London's Lost Airport 1942 - 1960. Author Robert Belcher. Publ: AJAviation Publishing

Blackbushe Forum -

'Eenige Wakkere Jongens'. Nederlandse oorlogsvliegers in de Britse luchtstrijdkrachten 1940-1945. Auteur Erwin van Loo

322 Squadron. Sporen van zijn verleden, lijnen in zijn geschiedenis. Auteurs W.H. Lutgert, Bart Sorgedrager

Photos - All with licensed non-commercial permission

1. 322 (Dutch) RAF Squadron - Facebook page

2. Private collection family van Eendenburg

3. Imperial War Museum, London

4. Imperial War Museum, London

5. Imperial War Museum, London

6. Imperial War Museum, London

Recent Posts
Search By Tags

Join our mailing list

Never miss an update

bottom of page